Saturday, January 19, 2008

Leaving San Francisco

Pals (and artists) Jeremy Sutton and Peggy Gyulai picked us up at the Moscone Convention Center, then drove drove us to the Lobby at Battery & California where Peggy's one-person show, Tone Interludes, is hanging. She gave us a personally guide tour of the exhibit. Beautiful work.

Then Jeremy drove us to their art studios in the Mission District. Fabulous studio spaces and beautiful work inside. Jeremy gave me one of his latest Painter Creativity DVDs. Fabulously designed and produced.

The DVD title is "How to Paint from Photographs Using Corel Painter X, Createive Techniques with Jeremy Sutton." As I mentioned in an earlier posting, Jeremy is one of the top Corel Painter experts in the world, and an inspirational, charismatic teacher. And, he's agreed to visit Santa Fe in early October, 2008, to make a presentation to the Santa Fe Mac User Group, and, better yet, to hold a 3 or 4 day workshop about using Painter (the fabulous "Natural Media" painting software that simulates real world brushes, oils, watercolors, chalks, pencils, etc). Details will be posted on the Santa Fe Mac User Group web site as they become available.

Robin in Jeremy's studio.jpg
Robin and Jeremy in Jeremy's studio. Not shown is the other half of his studio, including a space for at least six students and their laptops (for the digital painting classes he teaches).

Peggy's studio is next door to Jeremy's. Great spaces in the Mission District.

We didn't get to meet track star Michael Johnson (world's fastest human) as I indicated in an earlier posting. I guess I had that information wrong. Although, now that I think about it, I did feel a breeze while I was there, so I guess that could have been him (he's famous for being fast, you know).

After a nice lunch and coffee at the Coffee Bar (shown below) located on the ground floor of their studios building, they gave us a ride to SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art), which was just a half block from our hotel. Jeremy is a member of SFMOMA, so he ran inside, got a couple of free tickets for us, and said goodbye. We enjoyed the museum for 30 or 45 minutes then grabbed our bags at the hotel and snagged a cab for the airport.