Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese

Gloomy charm. That's how Wikipedia described this pub. Robin, Lynn, and I agree. We've never found gloom so charming. It's assumed that Samuel Johnson must have frequented Cheshire Cheese, since it's just a minute or two walk away.

There's a restaurant room across the hall from the bar, but it's slower so we ordered food and ciders from the bar. The food was delicious (Cottage Pie and two Steak & Ale Pies).

We're definitely going back for some more gloomy charm and food before this trip is over.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, rebuilt in 1667, after the Great Fire. So this place is pretty new. The Templar Knights wouldn't even recognize this new place, I suppose.

A plaque next to the front door lists all 15 Sovereigns that have come and gone during the Cheshire Cheese's reign. I'll bet lots of Kings heard about this place and wanted to go there, but the Queen wouldn't let him.

This place is a warren of rooms, stairs, and hallways. I found three bars, don't know if I found them all. This is first bar you find when you come in. It's the best one because its the gloomiest.

Noted designers, writers, and scholars hang out here. It's pretty dark in here, but I think I see all three on the right. 

A gloomy wall next to our gloomy table.

Gloomy cider on our gloomy table. I mean that in a good way.

A room upstairs. Looks like a popular place, if you're into light and un-gloomy stuff like that.

Go up some stairs, around the corner, then down some other stairs, and you're at this bar.