Friday, April 19, 2013

Forward to Yesterday

While here at the fabulous St. Pancras train station I’m using the also fabulous free WiFi service here. I was supposed to meet Robin here for lunch, but her class decided to take their instructor to lunch. What a bunch of suck-ups. I mean that in a nice way. At least it gives me a chance to upload some photos.

After I walked Robin to class, I stopped by an upscale electronics store to buy a mophie extra power pack for my iPhone. No luck so I changed my original plan of going to the National Portrait Gallery and made a tube hop to the Apple Store in Covent Garden. They had the mophie I was looking for, and I enjoyed the visit to Covent Garden. Photos in a coming-soon blog.

But now I gotta get some of these yesterday photos uploaded before I lose track of them.



I started the day yesterday with a tube ride/hike to Hyde Park, hoping to visit the Sepentine Gallery, which was closed. I asked if it would be closed all day and they said "Yes, until June." I decided not to wait and walked back across the park. Lots of dogs there. These two Golden Swan Chasers were having a great time.

I said "Give me a classic swan pose" and the swan struck this 10-second pose. Maybe 5 seconds.

A nice spot on Hyde Park’s Serpentine Lake to have a snack.

Looks like the Swan & Pigeon Patrol has discovered a kid with bread.

Harrod’s department store is in the neighborhood so I stopped by. Harrod’s has 22 different upscale bars, cafes, and restaurants, and lots of other food markets and counters.  I recommend the cuttlefish, above.

More Harrod’s. Whole Foods will never seem the same.



Makes me wonder what I missed by just staying on the first floor.

Harrod’s perfume department. The scent in here os lovely but overpowering (cough, gasp, choke).  

Harvey Nichols, famous for its window displays, is about a block away from Harrods. This window display rivals almost any gallery exhibit I've seen. I love love love these paintings. And the entire presentation. This photo just shows about half of the windows of this particular display. 


Very contemporary and impressionistic. Love the paint spatters, splashes, and smears on the glass.
Detail of a painting. The artist is Andrew Salgado. I love you man.

The window displays include mannequins that are splashed with paint.

Love the messy paint on the windows. I keep seeing that homeless guy reflected in windows, but when I turn around he’s gone. Creepy.

Speaking of galleries, most tube stations are also galleries. This exhibit at Gloucester Road is based on a Big Ben theme.